Olongapo City Observes Fire Prevention Month
By virtue of Proclamation No. 115-A, Olongapo City and the rest of the country observes the Fire Prevention Month, March of every year, to increase the level of awareness of the public on the ways to prevent fires and to save lives and properties because March is the month of hot and dry season when the environment is more prone and conducive to fires,” said Mayor James “Bong” Gordon Jr.
“With this year’s theme: Sustaining Fire Prevention through Active Community Participation, the city government is calling on Olongapeños to help prevent or minimize the incidents of fires by being constantly aware of the environment,” Mayor Gordon added.
Accordingly, the City Bureau of Fire Protection has provided the following home and life-saving tips to prevent the incidence of fires:
• List down the phone numbers of the Fire Department in case of emergencies.
• Eliminate fire hazards through good housekeeping: dispose waste paper, rubbish and other flammable materials regularly.
• Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
• Oil or gas lamps and candles should be placed away from curtains. Do not light them near windows, fans or where children or pets may topple them. Put out the flame before going to bed.
• Never read in bed by candle or lamp.
• Do not leave a burning candle unattended.
• Do not keep flammable materials like gasoline, alcohol and paint inside the house.
• Regularly check your electrical installations, and have all frayed wirings and electrical fixtures changed or repaired by a licensed electrician.
• Never leave a lighted cigarette/cigar/pipe unattended. This may fall on flammable materials.
• Crush cigarette butts thoroughly before discarding them. Do not throw butts into the waste basket. Always have ashtray available in your home.
• Check LPG, kerosene and oil stove regularly for leakage and defects.
• Don't leave the stove while cooking and always turn it off after use.
• Don't heat wax, paints and other polishing substances over open flames.
• Always check your kitchen before going to sleep.
• Unplug electrical appliance after use.
• Don't replace blown fused with tin foil, wire or metal to short circuit the current. Used only approved and standard fused.
• Always keep a first-aid kit handy.
It can be recalled that Mayor Gordon’s HELPS (health, housing, environment, education, livelihood, labor, peace and order and social services) report shows a decreasing trend in the city’s fire incidents from 2007 to 2009 due to the combined efforts of the Bureau of Fire Protection and the communities to save lives and properties.